What is your vision for your future? Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve it? Can you easily articulate your goals, dreams and desires and what you need to do today, tomorrow, next month and next year to accomplish them? Are you prepared to persevere through good times and bad to see your journey through to a successful conclusion?
I’ve heard it said that five years from today, you will be the same person you are now except for the books you read, the CDs you listen to and the people you associate with. Here are some suggestions to help you get motivated and stay inspired.
1. Use a journal or “dream book.” Buy a journal and write down everything you want to accomplish in your business and personal life. Refer to it often—at least weekly—and keep adding to it. Don’t be practical; list everything—big and small—that you want to do or achieve, regardless of whether you believe it is possible to accomplish it. Over the years, you’ll be surprised how many items on that list you will be able to check off.
2. Read a wide range of material. Make the time to read books and magazines that interest you. Include books and periodicals that are new and different from your usual reading routine. Perhaps you had a past interest that you just haven’t had time for. Make the time; you’ll be rewarded.
3. Use your commute wisely. Your car can be your personal university on wheels. Listen to CDs to learn and be inspired. You never know where you’ll get that next great idea or inspiration. Topics may include business books, training programs and courses. Advisor Today now has podcasts—audio articles you can download from this site and transfer to a CD or your MP3 player. The first series of podcasts, “Building a More Successful Practice,” gives you great sales ideas, ways to use technology wisely and advice from some “greats” in the industry.
4. Connect with others. Connect with people who are doing the very thing that you would like to be doing or who are achieving success at the levels you want to be at. They will keep you motivated and on track. Attending your local NAIFA association meeting is the perfect place to start.
5. Get assistance. Seek out a mentor or coach. Be sure it is someone you trust who will listen to you and challenge you to achieve all that you desire in your personal and business life. If you are a member of MDRT, you can check out its official mentoring program.
6. Start or join a study group. By joining other serious-minded agents and advisors, you formalize your desire to grow and be inspired. These “mastermind” groups will stretch you in ways you cannot imagine. You can also join NAIFA’s Leadership in Life Institute to help set you on your path to becoming a leader in the association and industry.
While the path to success is varied, the will to succeed and the belief that success is possible are not.
In all of the books I’ve read about success, as well as the biographies of successful people, I have found no magic formulas. While the path to success is varied, the will to succeed and the belief that success is possible are not. You’re never too old and it’s never too late to have a vision of what you want to accomplish for yourself and others.
Good luck to you on your journey to success.
Robert A. Arzt, CLU, ChFC, LLIF, is president and founder of Polaris One and InsuranceCoachU.com. He coaches professionals who want to achieve more and to accelerate their success. Contact him at 301-610-5624, firstname.lastname@example.org or through his website at www.insurancecoachu.com. For a free coaching session, go to www.insurancecoachu.com/Individual/IndividualCoaching_FreeSession.htm and submit your request.