The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors has recognized Todd W. Johnson with the association’s most prestigious honor in association management: the C. Carney Smith Award. Johnson has served as the executive director for NAIFA-Minnesota, NAIFA-Minneapolis and NAIFA St. Paul since 2000.
“I am very pleased to congratulate Todd Johnson as NAIFA’s 2015 C. Carney Smith Award recipient,” said NAIFA President Juli McNeely, LUTCF, CFP, CLU. “NAIFA-Minnesota and the local associations he directs have thrived under his leadership, thanks largely to his passion, dedication and innovative thinking.”
Johnson is the 40th recipient of the C. Carney Smith Award. The award was created to honor the legacy of C. Carney Smith, CLU, who served as the National Association’s Executive Vice President for 15 years, ending in 1978. Established in 1976, the C. Carney Smith Award promotes the advancement of professionalism in the field of association management among NAIFA state and local associations. Through the years, it has come to symbolize a lifetime achievement award for association executives. The recipient is chosen by his or her peers, who strive to select an executive who embodies the very best of what NAIFA stands for: education, involvement, integrity and service to others.
“Todd has challenged us to make our association a better place, and he has been successful, said NAIFA-Minnesota President Gary Havir. “His passion for NAIFA, NAIFA-Minnesota, the local associations and the entire industry created great enthusiasm within our group.”
“Todd understands the need for non-dues income and has created ways for our organization to flourish,” said NAIFA-Minnesota Past President Debra C. Newman, CLU, ChFC, LTCP. “He is an avid student of innovation and keeps us on the cutting edge of technology and leadership development.”
His notable achievements include:
- Developing “NAIFA-Minnesota: A Day with MDRT” in collaboration with the Million Dollar Round Table. The annual event attracts more than 350 participants. Johnson has produced, scripted and directed the event, which is consistently rated “above average” and “exceptional” by participants.
- Presenting a monthly ethics course for advisors, which he has developed, written and revised several times. The course is popular and generates non-dues revenue for NAIFA-Minnesota.
- Developing and presenting “Regional Board Conferences,” which provide targeted training and support for NAIFA-Minnesota board members and volunteer leaders.
- Revamping the NAIFA-Minnesota Roadshow, a full-day program that travels to seven different cities in the state to provide continuing education, motivation and networking opportunities for more than 500 attendees.
- Increasing non-dues revenue streams for NAIFA-Minnesota while reducing expenses, resulting in net income for the association over each of the past eight years.